prasad-bhog >> Makara Chaula Recipe – Delicacy Preparation of Makar Sankranti Festival
Jan 2017 VIEWS: 2,193
Makar Sankranti, the date always remain same ( January 14th ) because like other Hindu festival it is not based on lunar calendar, it is based on solar calendar. Makar Sankrati festival celebrated around the country, depends on various climate, agricultural environment, cultural backgrounds and location. From this festival day, the days becoming longer and warmer and thus the chill winter declines.
Makara Chaula ( ମକର ଚାଉଳ ) – This is the special prasad for Makar Sankranti, Makar Chaula is prepared in every temples and house-hold of every Odia family . It has one beautiful spiritual story behind this cultural and agricultural festival.
Makara Chaula is prepared during the Makara Sankranti festival in Orissa. The rice used is preferably from the fresh harvest. There are slight variations in the ingredients depending on the regions.
Ingredient for Makara Chaula :-
- White raw Rice ( 1/2 cup ),
- Milk ( 2 cup ),
- freshly grated coconut ( 4-5 tbs ),
- small sugarcane pieces ( 1/3 cup ),
- Powder Sugar 2 Spoon
- Khua ( Khoya ) 50 Gm
- pepper powder ( 1/4 tsp ),
- Chenna/cottage cheese ( 1-2 tbs ),
- Grated Ginger ( 1 tsp )
- Small Pieces Fruits ( Pomegranate, Apple, Cheery, Orange, Ripe Banana)
- Raisin 5 pieces
- Raw Cashew Nut 5 Pieces
- Muan Khai ( 2 small sized muan ) Optional
- 1 Tsp Camphor ( Karpoor ) Optional
- 10 Black Pepper
- 5 Choti Elaichi ( Cardamom )
- 2 Badi Elachi ( Black Cardamom )
grind into a dardara powder
Recipe of Makara Chaula / Procedure for Makar Chaula (Oriya: ମକର ଚାଉଳ ) –
- Soak the rice for a night. Wash and drain.
- Grind soak rice, but don’t make it fine paste. make it as rough ( daradara) paste
- Mix all the fruits, Grated Ginger, Muan Khai, Raisin, Cashew Nut, Powder Sugar, Chenna and Khoya with Rice paste.
- Lastly mix the special masala with Camphor