rathayatra >> Work of Chitrakar & Suchikar during chariot making
Jun 2014 VIEWS: 1,485
Among saptarathkar ( Seven carpenters/architects ) , Chitrakar & Suchikar are engaged in painting the part of ratha & make dresses and decorated the chariots . Saptarathkar were seven main architect responsible for the construction of the chariots, they created seven section (“nijog”) under them and each of them used to play a distinct role. They were
- Gunakar – The architects responsible for everything related to construction like measurement
- Mukhyarathakar – The main carpenter who constructed the vital portion of the chariots
- Lohakar -Black smiths who used to prepare and arrange all equipments and weapons like irons, nails, clamps needed for the chariots
- Chandakkar – The workers who arranged the wood and provided it during the construction
- Rupakar – Sculptors who made the statues of the deites and decorated the chariots
- Chitrakar – The painter who painted the chariots and other designs on the chariots
- Sutikars – The tailors who made dresses and decorated the chariots.
But with time, the “Saptakar” have been replaced with 36 servitors who are concerned with the construction of the chariots. services of the Chief architect, sculptor, painter and tailor are the most important.